fredag den 6. august 2010

1922 - (14) Nanook of the North

From protothriller to protodocumentary, huah!

Title: Nanook of the North
Director:Robert J. Flaherty
Year: 1922
Runtime (My version): 79 mins, in perfect agreement with the book.

Seen: 2009

How i got this: Torrent, but it is also on the Archive, so it does seem perfectly legal.

Plot Outline: We follow Nanook on his everyday exploits in the cold and unforgiving plains and ice shelves of the north. He lives a life that may end tomorrow, being totally dependent upon his ability to feed himself and his family.

First impression: Eskimoes are boring
But on second thought: You had me at hello!

General comments: I saw this on a train, and right from the start, this movie had me smiling and just staring in awe. Some people dismiss this movie by pointing out that some scenes are staged. But for me it is impressive to catch a seal with a harpoon whether you are asked to do so or not. And I don't think any of the scenes in this movie shows something that wouldn't take place from time to time out there on the ice. Nanook is more badass than most protagonists. He even beats Bear Grylls AKA Survivorman from Discovery Channel if you ask me.
 
This movie just feels so genuine, it made me feel lucky to be able to watch it. It is a snapshot of a time that will probably never come again, perhaps it is best that way, but one can't help but feel a slight sting of remorse when you see Nanooks apparent joy over his way of life.

If this was on TV today I would watch it almost over anything else that was on.

Music: The music is secondary in this movie.

Pictures: Beautiful, thrilling and touching. Nice quality on my version too.

Essentially this is: Quite a surprise, and a must see.

Why you should see this: Because it's a must see.
Why you shouldn't see this: If you have a fear of eskimoes, this might just be best to avoid.

Honorable mention: Nanooks wifes, yes he had two. They would have to trust him so bad.

Final rating: 88/100 Made me glad I started this project.

BTW: Nanook vs Chuck Norris... Nanook just might stand a chance, after all he allegedly slayed several polar bears with just his spear.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar