mandag den 29. marts 2010

1920 - (9) Within Our Gates

Presenting the earliest preserved movie made by an african american.

Title: Within Our Gates
Instructor: Oscar Micheaux
Year: 1920 (although the movie says in its intro that it was made in 1919)
Runtime (My version): 1 hr 15 mins

Seen: Spring / Summer 2009

How i got this: Torrent, no copyrights on this one as far as I know. No copyrights stated in the movie itself either.

Plot Outline: A black teacher from the south travels north, to raise money for the school educating black people she works for. We follow her quest to raise money for the school, as well as get a glimpse of her past.

First impression: None really, didn't know what to expect.
But on second thought: Ok, well, thats just one less movie to go...

General comments: Dealing with important issues and viewing a problem from the eyes of numerous stakeholders, this movie sets out to adress the problems with suppression of the black part of the population in early 1900 america.

The story and acting however is nothing that really strikes me as something amazing or well done, and to me, this movie stands out more as an achievement for a black movie-maker, and a step on the right way to racial equality, than it does as a movie that I enjoyed watching. That being said, some scenes effectively shows the problems and wrongs done by both the white population against the black, and even displays how the black population in some cases where held back by members of their own community.

The history with this movie being lost for 70+ years, then suddenly reappearing in Spain is interesting, but does not make the movie itself any better.

The whole case with black people and white people is still relevant today, and I even find myself thinking ef the term black people is okay for me to write. In that sense, the movie is still relevant, as is the history surrounding it. However, in the end, I judge the movies in this book a lot based on my gut feeling, and this movie overall didn't keep the pace it set out in some scenes.

Music: No sound.... Boooooring.....

Pictures: Nothing special.

Essentially this is: A historically important achievement rather than a movie for the ages.

Why you should see this: It might be of interest to you.
Why you shouldn't see this: This is hardly even a good movie if you ask me.

Honorable mention: The scene with the black priest really was one of the high-points in this movie for me.

Final rating: 57% Maybe I'll change my mind in the future if I ever watch it again, but for now....

BTW: This whole prejudice thing may seem over-discussed and over-used. But still, I myself can't help being prejudice in some situations although I try to fight it. I wonder if there is ever any means to make it go away?

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar